I have been wanting to make this bathroom over for awhile now. And finally a couple of weeks ago, my younger son had a water bottle with his name written with Sharpie on the bottom and it made a perfect transfer onto the counter.
I would like to say I tried everything to get it off but truly, it is an opportunity like this that sparks the fire for such a project.
I usually hate prepping a project but this one didn't have that much and went really fast. Here's a good tip: Aluminum foil molds to things really well and makes a great covering for fixtures.
Frog tape is the BEST tape and allows for very little leaking. I was told from the guy at Home Depot that if you wipe it with a wet rag first, there is virtually no leaks. He was right. This tape expands when wet so if you wipe it down first, it provides a barrier before any paint is applied. AWESOME!
I used this 1-2-3 primer from Home Depot. It has a glue base and sticks to everything!! I applied two coats to the counter, meanwhile painting the cabinets while waiting for coats to dry.
The picture below shows counter totally primed and cabinets all painted grey.
Meanwhile, I applied the first coat of paint on the counter. I chose a stone spray paint. I have to admit that I was really nervous about the results and the whole concept of spray paint as a counter BUT, after applying a test coat on a sheet of cardboard, I knew it would work.
And... another coat to the counter.
2 coats of paint for the cabinets, 1 coat of glaze, 2 coats spray paint and 4 coats gloss polyurethane to seal, AND 2 coats of terra cotta paint (and a partridge in a pear tree).
And to finish off a long weekend project, a new coat of paint for the walls, of course some new lights, a new red valence, red rug, red hand towels, and counter accessories. Oh... and light switch covers to match the stone counter. Total cost: about $100. Granted I had some paint already in my stash but pretty good overall.